It’s Canadian Thanksgiving! In this episode, our Canadian host Carla talks about the importance of gratitude - both in how often it’s talked about in the bible and the real life impacts it has. Plus, she shares 3 ways you can start getting intentional with your gratitude today.
The Significance of Thanksgiving
Gratitude comes up over 70 times in the New Testament alone! It’s also found all throughout the Old Testament. If you understand the significance of repetition in the Bible, then you will know that God is calling you to stand up and take notice of thankfulness, as it is an ongoing theme.
The Blessing of Our Design and God’s Will
We are commanded to live a life of Thanksgiving! We see God’s thumbprint in His will and design for us, as both scientific and physiological studies show that gratitude benefits us!
Practicing gratitude can:
- Enhances positive emotions
- Drowns out anxiety & depression
- Increases self-esteem
- Increases God-confidence
- Creates spirit of generosity out of an abundance mindset
- Reduces blood pressure
- Improve sleep
- Boost immune system
When we are walking in alignment with God’s will, there are benefits that even the secular world can’t deny.
Thanksgiving in All Circumstances
We are commanded to practice gratitude in ALL circumstances.
It’s easy to be thankful in the mountaintop times. However, it can be hard in the valley to practice gratitude. In the midst of family or financial stress or mental health crisis, it can be a struggle to proture yourself in gratitude.
Carla shares her personal testimony, that when she hasn’t postured herself in Thanksgiving in the hard times, the hard times were only harder. She lacked hope, generosity, and her relationships suffered.
Gratitude shifts your perspective from victim mindsets and questions like “Why me God” to asking questions like “What now God?” and having your eyes open to solutions and the reality of God’s goodness.
Holy gratitude is primed by prayer and praise. It is designed to grow us in relationship with Him and build our faith in God’s promises and truth.
Gratitude takes intention, discipline, and partnership with the Holy Spirit.
3 Ways to Practice Biblical Gratitude
- Gratitude Journal - God shows up in the itty bitty ways and the big ways too. Allow Him to show Himself in those moments by reflecting on them. Be specific and remember - what you focus on grows!
- Gratitude Mapping - Similar to a vision board, you can create a board of the things you are practicing gratitude for. Put it somewhere you can see it everyday - connect to your gratitude visually.
- Gratitude Jar - this is a fun way to get the whole family involved! This is also a great way to reflect later in the year!
Have an amazing Thanksgiving!
Affirming Truth - I will be a person of gratitude.
1 Thessalonian 5:13
Connect With Carla:
Join In His Image Wellness Collective ---> firstname.lastname@example.org
Inquire about one-on-one mentorship ---> email@example.com
Come hangout on IG with me @carlaarges
Check out my blog and more at www.carlaarges.com